What has changed?
Exciting news to end 2020 and welcome 2021: as part of the Victorian Budget announcements in November 2020, there are additional solar and battery rebates available for all Victorian households! The Victorian Government had pledged the biggest household energy efficiency package in any state’s history, creating thousands of jobs, while also reducing greenhouse gas emissions… but most importantly, more savings for you!
This household energy efficiency package includes the following, among other benefits:
- 65,000 Solar photovoltaics (PV) rebates for 2020, and 140,000 over the next two years from 2021 onwards.
- 17,500 household Solar Homes battery rebates will be available across Victoria over three years, no longer restricted by postcode.
- 15,000 solar rebates will be available for small businesses over three years, for the very first time. More details to come in early 2021; in the meantime, you can register your interest here.
What does this mean for me?
For Victorians, this means it is cheaper to install solar and battery for your house, which means more savings for you! This is especially important as we come out of COVID-19 pandemic environment, which has been a strain on many households’ power bills as more of us spend time at home.
How much exactly can I save with a rebate?
The rebate amounts are as follows (as of December 2020):
- Rooftop Solar PV – Rebate of up to $1,850 + option of an interest-free loan up to approved rebate value.
- Solar for Rental Properties – Rebate of up to $1,850 + option of an interest-free loan up to approved rebate value.
- Solar Battery Rebate – Rebate of up to $4,174, now available for all Victorian postcodes. Note: interest-free loans are not available under the solar battery rebate program.
- Solar Hot Water Rebate – Rebate of $1,000 which can also be used for a hot water heat pump.
Sounds great – how do I access these solar and battery rebates?
To access these solar and battery rebates, you need a final quote to upload from a Solar Homes authorised retailer.
This is where our Energy Advice Service team at AEF can help you – we can guide you through the end-to-end process of assessing if a solar system and/or solar battery is right for your house or business, including connecting you with one of our trusted partners to quote a solar system and/or battery tailored to your property.
Our friendly Energy Advisors can also ensure you meet the eligibility criteria for the various rebates available, as each one is different.
Connect with us today to get started:
- Speak to an energy advisor in person on 1300 23 68 55
- Request an obligation-free quote for solar or batteries from one of our fully vetted suppliers
- Download our free guides on Solar or Batteries to learn more
Important to note:
- You cannot receive both rebates – you can only claim one rebate. You may cancel your current rebate application if you change your mind and decide to claim a different rebate by contacting Solar Victoria.
- You can only apply for a battery rebate after a solar PV system (5Kw or greater) is installed and connected.
For more detailed information about the rebate application process, please visit Solar Victoria’s website.
I do not live in Victoria, can AEF still help me save on my power bills?
We sure can – at the Australian Energy Foundation, we pride ourselves on having a national presence and are committed to helping everyone transition to an equitable zero carbon society.
Check out our links here for rebates in other Australian states: