Going solar in Australia now offers an unparalleled chance for homeowners to permanently lower their electricity bills by 30-60% with clean, renewable energy. Ever-rising electricity rates mean that going solar has become more than an environmentally friendly move; for many households, it’s become a financially prudent one as well.
Still, going solar is a major undertaking. So to help you make this important decision with knowledge, accuracy, and confidence, we created this comprehensive and reader-friendly guide to choosing the best solar panels for your home.
If you have any more questions or would like help finding a trusted solar panel installer, simply complete this short form, give our friendly energy advisors a call at 1300 23 68 55 or contact us online. We look forward to helping you!
Here’s a preview of what’s in the guide
Table of Contents
Part 1: Is Going Solar Right For Me? 10 Questions To Help You Decide
- Is Going Solar Worth It?
- What Federal Solar Rebates Are Available?
- What State-Level Solar Rebates Are Available?
- How Do Solar Panels Work?
- How Much Does A Residential Solar System Cost?
- How Can I Finance My Solar System?
- How Will Going Solar Help The Environment?
- Is My Home Suitable for Solar?
- What Should I Expect On Installation Day?
- How Will Solar Panels Affect My Roof?
Part 2: How Do I Go Solar?
- How to Choose Residential Solar Panels
- How to Choose Your Solar Inverter
- What Warranties Should My Solar Components Have?
- What Size Solar System Do I Need?
- Which Direction Should My Solar Panels Face?
- How To Choose Your Solar Installer
Part 3: Post-Installation Solar Tips
- How Can I Save Most with My Solar Energy?
- What Are My Current Feed-in Tariff Rates?
- Will Extreme Weather Damage My Solar Panels?
- How Will a Power Outage Affect My Solar System Output?
- How Do I Maintain My Solar Panels?
Australia is, literally, the sunniest place in the world. We enjoy the highest level of solar radiation per square metre of all seven continents.
So thanks to recent technological developments, going solar in Australia offers an unparalleled chance for homeowners to permanently lower their electricity bills by 30-60% with clean, renewable energy.
In fact, even ten years ago solar panels didn’t always pay for themselves; now they do so in only 3-5 years, thanks to record-low solar panel prices and increased panel efficiency.
Combined with continually rising electricity rates (63% in just the last decade) this means that going solar has become more than an environmentally friendly move; for many households, it’s become a financially prudent move as well.
Still, going solar is a major undertaking. You’ll have to consider many questions along the way, such as:
- Is going solar right for your household?
- Should you invest in solar batteries as well? If so, when and how?
- How big does your system need to be?
- What components should you look for?
- How will you recognize whether they’re good or not?
- How should you prepare your roof for solar panels?
- How will you finance going solar?
- How will you find and recognize a reliable solar installer?
The right answers to these questions will look different for every household. So to help you make these important decisions with knowledge, accuracy, and confidence, we created this comprehensive guide to choosing the best solar panels and batteries for your home.
With this resource in hand, you’ll have thorough, homeowner-friendly information that will help take you through the process of going solar from beginning to end.
Part 1: Is Solar Right for Me? 10 Questions to Help You Decide
1. Is Going Solar Worth It?
If your roof and location are suitable for solar, yes.
Given a sturdy, unshaded roof with regular exposure to daylight, a solar panel system will save you money in two main ways:
1. Free Electricity = avg. 30-60% Lower Electricity Bills
For the typical customer, your free, sun-generated energy will replace 30-60% of your electricity bills, since you’ll no longer need to buy that electricity from your power company.